Friday, May 19, 2017

Ozobot Footnote

I discovered the trouble with using the Ozobot with today's pre-schoolers is that they are encouraged to "color outside the lines." Unfortunately, the Ozobot is more old-school. 
I tested out the Ozobot with my 4-year old niece. She loves to draw and is learning to write her name, but that meant she was always trying to draw lines with the pointed end of the marker. I'm kind of surprised that the Ozobot markers even have a pointed end, given that the robot needs a fairly wide line to follow. The Ozobot markers have a nice chisel tip, but when I tried it myself, I realized that you have to hold the markers at a fairly large slant in order to draw a thick line (more of a slant than you would naturally hold a pencil). I think using a regular blunt tip marker (possibly Expo?) would work better for a younger child.

The second issue was coloring in her own codes. The activity sheets have the squares outlined in a light gray. They're even labeled with the colors you should be using. However, the Ozobot takes readings so frequently that gaps between blocks or coloring beyond the length of the block tends to confuse the robot. Of course, to a 4-year old, erratic behavior in anything is hysterical, but that wasn't really the point of the lesson. The next time, I think we'll try using the sticker sheets for inserting color codes.