Friday, May 19, 2017

OzoBlockly

I decided to try out OzoBlockly - a drag-and-drop block-based language much like Scratch or AppInventor. The commands (especially movements) are tailored to the Ozobot (obviously). Since it's a web-based application, you can use it on any platform with a web browser, including mobile devices. Nothing unexpected so far, but my big question was how to get the program into the Ozobot. And that is what I found incredibly fascinating. You simply place the Ozobot against your device screen and the code is read in by the sensors on the bottom...genius.
One of the things I truly admire about this product is the elegance in its simplicity.
If you want to try out OzoBlockly, there are several beginner examples listed in the side bar of the program. There is also a reference section that gives detailed information about each programming block. Many of the challenges come with maps you can print out for the Ozobot to follow (I just use regular settings on my inkjet printer with white copy paper). I don't have a user account yet, since I don't have an Evo, but if you are programming on a laptop, you can save your programs to the computer (they are saved in the Download folder). One final feature, especially for older students, is the ability to see the JavaScript syntax for your program.