Thursday, July 7, 2016

LEGO WeDo for Chromebook

When I attended the Engineering Educators' conference last month in New Orleans, I talked to the LEGO rep and found out they were getting ready to release a Chromebook app for WeDo 2.0. I just set mine up today and I must say, it works beautifully. The only little "glitch" was getting the software to find the SmartHub. My Chromebook found it instantly, but I had to turn Bluetooth on and off a couple times to get the software to recognize it.

LEGO Education has a special going on right now. If you order the WeDo 2.0 Core Set, you also get the curriculum pack ($290 value) for free. I really like the built-in tutorial section of their software. It includes 4 Getting Started activities, 8 Guided Projects, and 8 Open Ended Projects. The Getting Started projects teach you how to build a little rover, get it moving, and operate the motion and tilt sensors. Another nice thing about the software is the built-in capability for kids to keep a log of their designs. There is a camera function that allows students to incorporate stills, video, or screenshots alongside their text-based reflection statements.

The only down side of the software are the Help videos. None of them contain any written or spoken words - just some background music and a lot of pantomiming by 2 minifigs (Max and Mia), Sometimes it's hard to figure out what they are trying to tell you.

I noticed that there is an Android app for WeDo 2.0. I may try to check this out on my phone, since I feel a little funny chasing after my robot with a Chromebook.